Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Trauma Education

I had the opportunity to develop and teach a course on trauma counseling at Argosy University. It was the first time this course was offered at the Salt Lake City, UT campus. As part of the class, I decided to use a self-effcacy questiontionnaire at the beginning and end of the class (pre and post-test) to see if self-efficacy would increase in regards to trauma assessment and counseling. there are some limitations to the study, but it is preliminary and is expected. The results were cool for me. the students' self-efficacy scores increased in all areas that the scale (Counselor Activity Self-Efficacy Scale--CASES) measures. I am going to compare them to the original test results and see how it compares. Then, I'll see if I can publish it, even if it is a local journal. It's been fun.
In my studies, I found that there is very little information on trauma counseling in a graduate-level education program. I find that ironic when traumatic incidents can be correlated to many problems in the DSM-IV-TR. I read a recent study on trauma counseling education that included a literature review of the subject. It was disappointing to find that trauma counseling education has had very little research to support the idea that it is required to create effective counselors. Ironic, isn't it?

Addendum:
The CASES measure can be found on the net and requested by Dr. Robert Lent.
Black, T.G. Teaching Trauma without Traumatizing is the study on trauma education. Interesting material.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

You are so smart! Thanks for being my firstborn.

Lawdawg said...

Shucks!

Lawdawg said...

Shucks!